Saturday, December 23, 2006

Spare the GODS!







M.F. Hussain, a revered artist, adored by auctioneers, worshipped by peers, exalted by the rich and now condemned courtesy intolerance and now forced into exile.


A debate that brings forth the thin line between artistic freedom and religious/nationalistic tolerance.

His paintings have captured hindu goddesses in the nude. The one on the left invited more trouble from the Home ministry. A ministry that claims to be part of the govt. or rather brands itself as secular and tolerant govt. and wears its shades of religious tolerance with fervour.



I wondered whats all the fuss about his paintings and the one above which depicts the map of India in the form a nude woman is something, if u ask me hardly offensive by any figment of my imgination. Now heres a certain section of the media and other right wing activists that have labelled him to have committed a crime that amounts to rs 11 lakhs for his hands being chopped off and rs 51 cr. for beheading the Danish Cartoonist.

The painting on this link is guess what??? Sita nude on the tail of Hanuman. Oh c'com, If I hadn't told u this, one would never interpret what's the painting all about(assuming its the first time u've seen it. There is nothing offensive, erotic in the paintings and find no reason for one to cry foul. Is ur religion/faith belief so fragile so as to be so intolerant by some crap painting!!!

Oh yes I dont understand art. Neither Do I Intend to. I cant understand what does a stupid solitary black dot on a huge what canvas signify.... To me it's just sheer waste of paper and time, Given the fact the some freaks spend time interpreting the crap and forcing some sense out of it.

Having said all of this and having always been alergic to be associate to any religion or faith as my guiding light I support the arguments against the painting. Not being specific to the one uploaded but mere intention of one to present what otherwise would be considered sacred.

I, in noways support the response by a section of intolerant goons, but oh c'mon what artistic freedom has one denied u if ur paintings are in danger of objecting popular sensibilities. I have no problems with the painting neither the intentions but for christ's sake please respect one sensibilities. Even though I dont approve of one's belief that the deities should be spared, if its against popular belief and the very nature of how contenious a debate of religion is, please respect it.

Some may retort that u could boycott his painting by stating his objection. Oh yes convenient reason for why I cant dont buy M.F. Hussain. I dont buy it cause I object to his paintings..... not of the fact that his painiting cost rs 1 crore. Small change for me and what a wise way to object....

U paint me nude, and yeah I object by not buying it. I am sure that's not gonna happen cause then no one would but it, spare the connoisseors of fine art. So everybody objects...

My parents have a problem. They do not appreciate and object to people whom they consider sacred to be painted nude. People/deities/gods who they have revered over time to be painted nude under the garb of artistic freedom. They are not gonna change through educating one on how curbing freedom would affect us as a Democracy. They have a problem and felt offended. I do not endorse their(my parents) view. But I respect the reasons for which the are offended. And please respect it. Period.!!! They aren't resorting to violence and neither do they buy your paintings, so will somebody please stand up and tell me, how do they register a protest???


I do not endorse the reaction towards the painting but why try and ignite and thread territories that for many is sacred. The absence of a protest or those who do not voice their opinion does not amount to one not being offended. But for christ's sake spare the Gods!









1 comment:

The Visitor said...

Perfect Vineet - I agree with all that you say here. But somehow this does not seem in consonance with your post on MS.